This blog will help you hire an experience contractor, and feel confident in your decision.
Hiring a contractor is one of the most important decisions in any home improvement project, and often the decision that scares homeowners the most.
Whether you’re looking for large remodel, or an exterior improvement of replacing your windows, siding, doors or roof, hiring an experienced and reliable contractor is critical to the success of the project.
If you don’t know where to start in finding a contractor, this guide is for you. After reading it you’ll be able to:
- Know what questions to ask a potential contractor
- Weed out unqualified contractors
- Feel confident in your final decision
Ready? You're going to love this!
9 questions to ask before you hire a contractor
1. Is he a licensed contractor in MN? You want a contractor who is properly trained and who can pull a building permit for your job. You want to feel confident that the job will pass inspection.
2. Can he show you a copy of his liability and workers compensation insurance? You need to know that in the absolute worst case scenario that he has the insurance to cover any damages or injury.
3. Does he know who will be doing the work? You want him to vouch for the quality of the guys doing the work. It means he knows them and trusts them to represent his business.
4. Has his company been operating under the same name and ownership for at least 5 years? You want a company with integrity and business strength. Longevity is one way to measure that.
5. Does the company have a positive reputation in the Twin Cities? You should check the BBB and Angie’s List for reviews and ratings of their work. If there are complaints, always read the company response or resolution as well.
6. Will he show you what he is going to be installing? You are thinking about spending your hard earned money. You deserve to see exactly what is going to be installed in your home. Your contractor should show you more than a picture in a brochure.
7. Does he listen to you so he can understand what is important to you? Your contractor is your partner in home improvement. Is he listening so he can give you what you want or is he just telling you what to do?
8. How long will you have to wait until the install? You should know approximately how long it will be until the project is completed. If you have an event or a deadline you are working with, tell him!
9. Do you like him? If you don’t like him, don’t hire him. (That is an easy one!)
Steve the Window Guy would love the opportunity to earn your business. Call him today at 612-866-2888 for a free in-home consultation. He'd be happy to answer all of your questions!
Author: Melissa Brager