Window Terminology: Window Terms Starting with "D"

Double Casement

Style of window where two individual casements are mulled together.

Double glazing

In general, two panes of glass separated by a spacer and air space within an opening to improve insulation against heat transfer and/or sound transmission. In factory-made double glazing units, the air between the glass sheets is thoroughly dried and the space is sealed airtight, eliminating possible condensation and providing superior insulating properties.

Double-hung window

A window consisting of two sashes operating in a rectangular frame, in which both the upper and lower halves can be slid up and down.  Sashes also tilt in for easy cleaning. A counterbalance mechanism usually holds the sash in place.

Double pane glass

Two panes of glass separated by a window spacer, creating the sash of the window.  UniShield replacement windows come in double pane and triple pane options.


For more information on window terminology, and to get your free quote on replacement windows from Universal Windows Direct, MN contact us today